The Caetani Cultural Centre is set on 1.5 acres of park like grounds with a 6,000 sq. ft. heritage house, eight on site studio/workspaces and a reception courtyard, all within walking distance of downtown Vernon. The centre offers a schedule of community arts based programming that take place both on-site and at partner venues. There is an extensive library of art books, laundry and free internet on site.
Visiting artists and writers are provided with a furnished private room, with shared kitchen, washroom, living and common areas. There are 8 studio/workspaces and seasonal programming onsite, offering a unique setting for both local and visiting artists to explore and express their creative process in the local community. As well, the Centre often works with outside organizations to provide access to off-site studio spaces and equipment wherever possible.
The Caetani Centre is a registered not for profit charitable organization. We strive to provide fair and affordable rates to creatives.
Funded Programs: Some of programs are sponsored/funded and provide accommodations/studios at no charge. Funded programs are currently on hold during Covid-19.
Self-Directed Programs have an associated fee for accommodations and studio space. Please check with your program of interest for details.
We are currently only accepting applications from within Canada during Covid-19.
Sponsored (funded) Programs:
Sponsored programs provide accommodations and studio/workspace free of charge.
- Fresh! AiR Art & Environment Theme, Sponsored with the Allan Brooks Nature Centre, May – October annually
- KP@C3: Writer in Residence, Sponsored between Caetani/Kalamalka Press/Okanagan College, held annually in October
- CeramAIR Ceramics Residency, Sponsored with the Arts Council of the North Okanagan, 3-4 months, January – April
Self-Directed Residencies – these have a modest fee associated with the stay and are normally not sponsored
- All fees are in Canadian funds, and pro-rated on the length of stay.
AIR Program fees include single occupancy private room and shared residential accommodations (private bedroom, shared kitchen, bath and common areas). Double occupancy may be considered for an additional fee ( Caetani and Sermoneta rooms only). Private studios are also available for and additional fee.
- 2 private bedrooms are available (each with queen-sized bed, closet and storage, and desk with chair)
- 1 private single room (single bed, closet and storage, and desk with chair)
- Double occupancy may be considered for the Caetani and Sermoneta rooms only (separate fee of $10/night).
- Additional nights/weeks are pro-rated @ the nightly rate
- Shared 4 piece full bathroom
- Shared kitchen/dining area.
- Shared communal living space
- One parking space onsite
- Bed linens, towels, and cleaning supplies are provided by the Centre.
- Coin operated laundry onsite
- Access to Internet, and Library
- Artists are responsible for their own travel, health insurance, food requirements, materials, equipment, and should have their own transportation.
- The fee does not include travel expenses, food, health insurance, art materials, shipping, exhibition costs, or other personal expenses.
- Most participants apply for grants to institutions, foundations, universities, government agencies, etc. in their country/province of origin to assist with funding.
- Pricing is tiered based on the length of the residency, accommodation and studio preferences, and the specific needs of the proposed project.
- The Caetani Centre does not provide daily cleaning of the studios or rooms, or daily meals. Residents are expected to maintain their studio spaces and rooms, shared common areas of the kitchen, bathroom and other common areas in a clean, tidy and orderly manner, with respect for the other residents using the space.
CHECK ROOM AVAILABILITY
Modest private studio/workspaces are available for $6/day, located onsite at the Centre for artists .
Private rooms are suitable workspaces for writers, digital artists, etc., and do not normally need a separate studio space.
No wet or messy mediums allowed in the rooms – you will need a separate studio space for these.
Private Studio Space:
- Footprint: All studios are approximately 12’ x 14’ (3.7 m x 4.3 m)
- Ceiling Height: approximately 8’ (2.44 m)
- Access to Internet
- Tub sink, access to water and washrooms.
Please note: There is limited access to equipment. If you have special equipment needs you should contact the Centre to ensure that this program is suitable for your expectations prior to making application. We will endeavour to accommodate special requests within the community, however we can not guarantee this.
Off-site Studio Spaces
The Caetani Centre has several partnerships in place with existing cultural organizations in the community for specific programs for additional off-site studio and equipment possibilities.
Occasionally we partner with other organizations to provide off-site exhibition or studio spaces. Please contact the Caetani Centre if you require special facilities or are interested in partnering with a local organization.
Off-site studio space is available for ceramic artists CeramAIR program through the Vernon Community Arts Centre, and visual artists through the Fresh! AiR program at the Allan Brooks Nature Centre.
The Caetani Cultural Centre will assist in facilitating workshops, receptions, and public programming based around the participating artist’s work, if desired.
Artists-in-Residence are requested to leave a piece of art in the community, if possible.
Other Available Artist Residencies
Self-Directed residencies for Artists & Writers.
Find out More…
Suspended during Covid-19.
Fresh!AiR funded Visual Artist Residency.
Find out more…
Suspended during Covid-19.
Kalamalka Press WiR funded writer in residence program.
Find out More…