Please read our Covid-19 Guidelines
before making your application
Suspended during Covid-19
Kal Press C3@KP Writer in Residence
Please check back in 2021.
Date of Residency: Annually October 1st – October 31st
“Literature is dialogue; responsiveness.
Literature might be described as the history of human responsiveness to what is alive and what is moribund as cultures evolve and interact with one another.”
~ Susan Sontag
The Caetani Cultural Centre partners with Kalamalka Press and Okanagan College to offer this Writer-in-Residence program.
The KPWIR@C3 includes four weeks of accommodation and studio space at the Caetani Cultural Centre, with the possibility of extended stay, as well as a $1000 honorarium. Writers are responsible for their own transportation, food, and supplies.
“I arrived in the Okanagan expecting the gorgeous mountains and keen students, but what disarmed me and made the Kalamalka Press Writer-in-Residence position unique were the flourishes: the comedic sound of horse chestnuts falling on daydreaming cars, the casual sublime of the Enderby cliffs, the open hearts of the many writers living in the valley, the stories I heard in my favourite Vernon bar, the extravagance of Caravan Farm Theatre’s Halloween party, the visiting artist from Saskatchewan who knelt for a week in the front yard rearranging those fallen chestnuts into a more human pattern and, through it all, day and night, the courteous ghost of Sveva Caetani, my taciturn and moody companion, who roamed the Caetani House and helped with my negligence by gently shutting cupboard doors I absentmindedly left open behind me.”
~ Moez Surani, 2015 Writer-in-Residence
For over ten years, Kalamalka Press and Okanagan College has operated a writer-in-residency. This program brought to the region numerous talented poets, essayists, and novelists, including Dennis Cooley, Robert Kroetsch, Mona Fertig, Brenda Schmidt, Gary Geddes, Peter Midgley, Leona Theis, and Kathleen Brown. Several of these authors have published notable creative and critical works that were composed or conceived of during their residencies.
SELECTION OF APPLICANTS
Candidates will be reviewed by the Kalamalka Press editorial board, while the selection process will consider equally the applicant’s curriculum vitae, the merit of the work to be conducted during the residency, and general suitability for the program.
The KP@C3 Writer in Residence program is sponsored by Kalamalka Press and Okanagan College so there is no charge to the participant for accommodations, however the successful candidate is required to submit the completed contract to the Caetani Centre which outlines the obligations and guidelines of their stay, which includes a $200 reservation/damage deposit. An honorarium is provided by Okanagan College to assist with additional living costs.
Writers are responsible for their own food requirements and should have their own transportation (see below).
- The residency does not include travel expenses, food, health insurance, writing supplies, shipping, or other personal expenses.
- Double-occupancy can be considered for an additional fee of $10/night. No pets or children please.
- Most participants apply for grants to institutions, foundations, universities, government agencies, etc. in their country/province of origin to assist with funding their stay.
- All linens and towels are provided, and there are laundry facilities on-site.
- IMPORTANT: The Caetani Centre does not provide daily cleaning of the studios or rooms, or daily meals. Residents are expected to maintain their studio spaces and rooms, shared common areas of the kitchen, bathroom and other common areas in a clean, tidy and orderly manner, with respect for the other residents using the space. Failure to do so will result in additional cleaning fees deducted from the deposit.
Residential Accommodation in the Caetani House
Click here to watch a 5 minute video that gives a sense of Sveva’s life and the Caetani Cultural Centre.
Writer’s Live/Work space in the Caetani Room – Large live/work room 320ft2 or 30m2
- Private one bedroom (queen-sized bed, clothes storage, desk with chair).
- Double occupancy may be considered. Please indicate on your application form.
- Shared 4-piece full bathroom
- Shared kitchen/eating area.
- Shared communal gathering space in the Library
- Parking for one vehicle onsite
- Bed linens, towels, and cleaning supplies are provided by the Centre.
- Coin-operated laundry onsite
- Access to Internet and Library
- Writers are responsible for their own travel, health insurance, food requirements, materials, equipment, and should have their own transportation. The Caetani Centre residential accommodation is within walking distance to most downtown shopping amenities, and taxi service is available to the site. If you plan to rent a car for the entire 4-week period, expect to budget a minimum of $1000. Alternate arrangements for transportation may be made through volunteers and staff whenever possible, but cannot be guaranteed. A complementary bicycle and helmet are also available for the resident’s use (at their own risk).
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION…
The Caetani House is located two blocks from downtown Vernon, and is within walking distance or public transportation to shopping, as well as most public facilities and amenities. Bike trails and bus service are available to larger centres.
Kalamalka Press and Okanagan College are located 5 minutes south of the city of Vernon at the top of a hill, approximately a 5-10 minute drive from the Caetani Centre.
Other Available Artist Residencies
Self-Directed residencies for Artists & Writers.
Find out More…
Suspended during Covid-19.
Fresh!AiR funded Visual Artist Residency.
Find out more…
Suspended during Covid-19.
Kalamalka Press WiR funded writer in residence program.
Find out More…
Watch a 5 minute video that gives a sense of Sveva’s life and the Caetani Cultural Centre.